As we contemplate the legacy we’ve been given, consider these ideas for passing on the song in music ministry:
1. Sing Robustly – You can influence congregational singing for the future by singing with great enthusiasm during congregational worship. Family and friends will remember your example and will often follow suit.
2. Scholarships & Endowments – Dollars invested today can pay dividends for years to come. Endow an internship or a fine arts scholarship in your church’s music ministry.
3. Bless those who bless you – take opportunities throughout the year to bless the church musicians who are blessing you. A nice meal, an encouraging note, or a Christmas bonus go a long way toward ‘paying it forward.’
4. Commission an anthem – paying for a commissioned work on a special occasion is a great way to bless your local music ministry for years to come.
5. Donate a piano – perhaps when you’re downsizing, you might consider donating a piano to the church. These instruments might be used for decades to come to teach little hands or lead others in meaningful worship.
6. Stay in the Choir – Singing in the choir is a great way to pass on the legacy of leading in worship through music. Finding a new singer to join up would be an even better way to pass along the faith.